Friday, March 27, 2009

Box of Wise Sayings



I showed some of these beads a while back. I kept thinking about how I wanted to finish them, the asian style YoYo beads. I thought about trying different things, and I kept putting them back down.


Sometimes the answers come at odd times. Like when you're having take out from the chinese restaurant, and you look at the little fold up box with the handle on it.

Or you're driving down the road and you see the design in the wrought iron fence you're driving alongside, and wish you had time to stop and take a photograph.

Sometimes the pattern in the flowers at the grocery store in the floral department, sitting in pots of water waiting to go into an arrangement, temporary bright colors.

I didn't want to drill a hole, or put a wire wrap through the round YoYo designs.


So I decided to try something really simple, just open loops on the back of the bead that you can slip a chain or a cord, or maybe a whole group of strung seed beads through. There's a red one, and one that looks like antique copper or iron with a green patina.

It's going to be fun to see how folks use these. I was tempted to make something up myself, but decided to list them in the Etsy store as beads and let you have fun with them.



I think they could be made up into earrings and bracelets, now that I have the idea about how to add the metal loop rings on the back.

How fun is that?

Someone put together this pretty Treasury aptly titled "ORACLE" with lots of mysterious and interesting images. See my Star Chart Hearts in the second row?

I like the combination of colors, textures and images. If you see something you want to know more about, go to the Treasury, it's up until Sunday.

6 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Lynn, I like the solution you've come up with for the beads. Sometimes a bail or hole interferes too much with the design of the bead. This works well allowing the bead to stand out.

BTW vaseline glass was made in the '30s using uranium to tint it. It sets off geiger counters. Umm, I don't think I will be buying any.

Mary Harding said...

Lynn,Your new beads are beautiful. I agree that the loop or loops in the back are a great idea. I like the deep velvety colors you used. Really nice.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

LeAnn, thanks for the update on the vaseline glass - maybe I can safely reproduce the look without the exotic ingredients, LOL!

I wanted the beads to look ancient and worn, so the wire to finish and attach them seemed to need that same feeling, the annealed steel fits the bill, I think.

Mary, so good to hear from you! I love your new beads and your beadwork for the Use the Muse project is gloriously stunning!

dogfaeriex5 said...

beautiful beads...xo

SueBeads said...

Lynn, I love them! especially just simply with the seed beads. I never think of just using seed beads, but the way you put them together is so great!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Hi, Kim, that little icon you have for your profile is great!

Sue, you are the empress of lampwork, I just play around the edges with humble seed beads. Can you think of any ways to use those loops with seed beaded cording?