Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Learning and Leaning



I've always wanted to work in metal. I love the weight and sturdiness of it, and the way the shapes bring memories of old things, the ornate shapes and distinctive colors.

I learned to use silver metal clay a while back, and I still have some fine silver charms I need to list. The price of silver has gone up so high, unless I really need the precious metal I didn't want to use it for large pieces like this one.

There's a new copper clay and bronze clay now, too. I haven't tried those in my kiln, but I've seen folks making some beautiful work with it.

These pewter pieces are striking just the right note for me right now. I don't mind making these larger pieces in pewter, if I mess up it's easy to turn them right back into molten metal again.

I'm still learning how to patina them, and how they take finishing. It's good that the weather is warm and fine so I can open all the windows and turn on my fans to ventilate properly. I need to find a respirator mask, to make sure no metal dust or fumes are going where they shouldn't go, I'm always conscious of safety concerns.


I have so many ideas I've been storing up for shapes and uses of the cast metal, I will be making up quite a few for testing. I want to replicate antique religious medallions and make my own bezels for resin. Last night I carved some more shapes to make molds, so I have some ready for the weekend.

I'm still learning, but it seems to be going well so far. I've just touched the tip of the possibilities, learning how to work with this metal. It adds a dimension to my visions that was missing before, and I'm enjoying the experimentation process. Learning how to create metal collage ...

8 comments:

sharon said...

very awesome Lynn, I looooove metal and am becoming more involved in cold connections and absolutely adore it! Did a little post today on one of your pieces, hope you like it!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thanks, Sharon, your feedback means a lot! I'm having fun, and my manicure (such as it was) is now permanently ruined!

I just adore the little house charm necklace you made, I had an idea you might like that little tile and look at the lovely necklace you created! Fabulous, you are so ingenius ... and especially thanks for sharing, I wonder sometimes what happens to my little charms and beads, did they grow up to be something once they went away? Cheers!

SummersStudio said...

Lynn, I really like what you're doing with the pewter. I just got some of the bronze clay in last week. The firing schedule looks horendous though. And the shrinkage is really high and/or unpredictable.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

LeAnn, I've thought about the bronze and copper clay, but don't have a lot of details. I've heard there's quite a lot involved. I love the little bronze clay earrings I got from Catherine Witherell, the color is beautiful. Apparently the patina options are fabulous. Hope you'll let me see what you make, once you get started!

SummersStudio said...

I'll let you know, definitely. Now that I've gotten thru the show and the market, I've got a little time to experiment. The patina on the coal based carbon fired pieces I've seen are fabulous.

Heather Powers said...

well I am seriously impressed!

The Joy of Nesting said...

Lynn,

Your collage pieces are quite incredible!!! I really love that they are collaged because they provide so much more inspiration for this apprentice's work :) A couple of pieces bring to mind the look of what a collage of Milagros might look like. Hmmm I think I need to find a "Mule" headed this way so I can order a couple of pieces :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Pattie, I love travel but I don't have any plans that direction or I'd offer to bring them myself, I've always enjoyed travel south of the border, being from Texas and all ...

Heather, you are so kind to let me know you like the new things I'm dreaming up, since I'm in awe of everything you make! You started all this, remember? I owe it all to you for giving me the challenge to sell the beads by themselves, and I'm forever grateful to you!