Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Unusual Trails of Thought


This light blue color, found on old documents with their spidery copperplate script writing, always interests me. The little bird on the branch looks like an engraved and printed image, something you'd see on a blue willow plate. I used to have a hand-me-down set of willow plates that I gave to someone who collects them, but I still like the pretty blue color and images on them.


I can imaging a love letter written on a faded, folded blue sheet, with india ink lettering. The word on the back of this glass pendant just says "WAITING" - possibly a mom-to-be waiting for her sweet baby boy to arrive on the appointed date. Or a mother waiting for a child far away to come home safely.


Maybe a lover, waiting for the next time to be with their beloved. The twisting and spiraling loops on the top remind me of tree branches, or a bird's nest. Something very natural, but in the spirit of the waiting bird, very strong.

If you are patiently waiting for someone special, or a special event, I hope it flies like the pretty bluebird into your window soon, bringing much springtime joy with it.

4 comments:

sharon said...

As you know Lynn, I love the whole arrangement to this piece and the color is extroidinary! The organic loops add so much texture to the piece, like an extension of the bird. Birds, and wings and flight, and freedom are everyday thoughts to me. I posted pics today of a piece I made with the wings I purchesed from you, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know what you think!

sharon said...

Thanks Lynn for your kind words!

Beth Hikes said...

love the little tweety bird! I have no idea what a willow plate is. Do tell!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Beth, you know those china porcelain plates, white china with a painted blue pattern? Sometimes they have a little pagoda, a stream, and the trunks and branches of a willow tree, all painted in blue on the white plate? Maybe they're not called blue willow, but that's what I've always thought they were called.