Friday, August 21, 2009

Souvenirs of Armchair Travels


Last weekend I ground the edges and fire polished some faux gemstones in the kiln, to combine with some cast pewter emblems. I wanted the results to look like travel souvenirs from long, long ago.

Back before the turn of the century, the well-to-do of America and Europe went on tours, either with a travel scheduling company or with a well-worn travel guidebook in hand.

In those times travel was much slower, with steam ships and trains making the most of the travel along with carriages, camels and mules.

There are many well-written memoirs of those ladies and gentlemen and postcards sent back to friends from places that seemed exotic and foreign.


These two glass and pewter pieces are meant to resemble things that may have been brought back from such a travel tour. The ancient-looking celtic cross sits on top of a beautiful shimmery golden dichroic glass stone that glistens and changes color in the light. The celtic cross looks worn and old, possibly from some Irish monastery or treasuretrove.


The french Eiffel Tower charm sits beside a beautiful blue-green dichroic fused glass stone. It reminds me of the souvenirs available during the Paris World's Fair when the Eiffel Tower was opened, it has that Art Deco kind of feeling with the round settings.


There's another fused glass faux gemstone with a bright shimmery blue stone and a fleur de lys that I like in the shop now, too. My mind wanders and my hands follow, and out come these faux artifacts! Both one of a kind ... with a special feeling for travel.

4 comments:

Esther said...

thanks Lynn for this beautiful travel around the past... this green/blue.. it's the color of 1900Th.. do you know that the eiffel tower have been painted in red in the last century??? (???§§§)
well.. wonderfull job .. with a lot of sense!! i love!!
have a nice day..
ether

The Joy of Nesting said...

Great pieces Lynn!! It would be fun to do a whole charm bracelet of "old" souvenir pieces. One charm from each place on the "Grand Tour" you stopped at :)

BTW did you get the email I sent with the mermaid necklace pictures??? I also posted some pics on my blog. I really enjoy wearing it and have been complemented a few times! When I'm asked where the mermaid came from I direct them to your ETSY stores :)

Take care have a wonderful weekend of creating!!!
Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

SummersStudio said...

I keep thinking Orient Express and Agatha Christie when I see these pieces. That's a compliment by the way. I really can't get enough of that British collector class.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Merci, Esther, pour les bons mots! I didn't know about the Eiffel Tower being painted red, that would be a sight!

Pattie, I saw the mermaid, very lovely and nice work. So happy you were pleased with your pieces and thanks for the kind words to your friends.

LeAnn, you found out my literary weakness. I love that era of writing. At the moment I'm reading P.G. Wodenhouse - just ask Jeeves!