Sunday, May 23, 2010

Midnight Wings


I'm trying something new, a little different, with finishing the wings.

This is a pair of wings in a dark midnight, denim blue color.

At the ends of the wingtips I added a blue-black faceted glass bead to finish it off.

it has a picasso finish on the bead, so part of it has a pearlized bue look that matches well with the dark blue textured color on the wings.




You can see the glint of light on the bead at this angle.

Usually I do the wirewrap plain, without adding the bead.

With a simple loop at the bottom to add a bead or dangle.

I got these vintage glass faceted beads and they match the color of the wings perfectly.

So I tried them together and loved them that way.




Here's a picture of the reverse side, it's an india ink denim blue color with a butterfly wing-looking pattern on it.

I wish I could say that I looked at the beads first and then painted the wings to match, but I didn't, this time it was a happy coincidence that they matched so well.

But if you like the look with the beads on the wingtips, maybe next time I will do it intentionally.

I like them, they feel very ornamental - just a hint of BLING at the ends of the wings for a special sparkle.

10 comments:

Mary Harding said...

I think the bead at the end looks super great. Nice finish. Lovely colors.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thank you, Mary, that means a lot since I'm in love with all your ceramic work, so beautiful...

jacquio said...

I love these wings Lynn, a great color blue.

EmandaJ said...

Hi Lynn, I love the wings, the color and the beads -- I'm very partial to thos particular beads -- they show up in my work a lot too.

I really like the direction you are going with the poly clay these days!

Emanda

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thanks, Jacqui - I did think of you when I painted them!

Emanda, I appreciate the feedback, I'm having fun with color these days - you should see my red-blue-green fingers today...

jacquio said...

I thought of me when I saw them!!

TesoriTrovati said...

Awesome Lynn!
I love the little bit of sparkle. And the color is so saturated and rich. Did you get my email? What do you think? I am stalking your Etsy site right now....
Enjoy the day!
Erin

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Erin, I got your email but I was having computer issues, fingers crossed the gremlins have gone!

Karen Burns said...

Love the wings. I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to catch up on all the blogs I love! Yikes! Great shade of blue.......

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Karen, I try to keep some blues and greens in the mix, otherwise everything I make would end up on the warm side of the color wheel. Sometimes I just squeeze out paint from that family - blue-violet-bluegreen - to give those shades a chance. I like blue a lot, of course. Bluebirds, blue skies, bluebonnets in Texas - lots of great things that color.