Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I may be Silly, but it wasn't a Fluke!



A while back I made one of these 3-dimensional medallions with the ornate scroll on the back and the lovebirds on top.

It was kind of tricky to make, and I didn't know if I could do it again.

I don't know if you ever play that mental trick on yourself? The mental block - "It must have been a fluke!"

So I decided to try again, and if it didn't work out, I'd just melt it down and not fret.

It wasn't too hard, just a little time consuming. To get both pieces made and finished, and then nest them into each other.

Then anchor them together, without ruining everything.

I'm happy I made myself sit down and do it.

Sometimes, you just have to prove to yourself, it wasn't a fluke!

.... or maybe I just got lucky? LOL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I doubt it was a fluke or you 'got lucky'. I'm pretty sure if you tried it again and again and again you could make it happen, consistently.
You do such great work, I wish I could do what you do. /jealousy

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Dustybean - there are many, many times that I have to melt down something I'm working on because I messed up - but fortunately you don't see those. I show the ones that survive and get to the finish line.

What I dislike is when I've put a lot of time into a piece, and then I mess up and have to melt it down and start over.

I try to think of that as a "learning experience" - and one of the good things about working with pewter is that it can be melted and started over. But the time is just gone ...

So you're right, I should practice and practice more, I guess. Thanks for the reply, it's very thoughtful.