Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pre-Summer Planning and Planting



Driving into town in the early mornings, I really look forward to the days getting longer. Every day since December 21, the sun has come up a little earlier, and gone down a little later. Even though I think of June as mid-summer, by the time June 21 comes along, the days are beginning to shorten again, going toward the fall and the beginnings of winter.


This year there hasn't been much of a winter, although I'm told that it can snow here as late as April. Many people garden year-round here. That's something I'm going to have to learn, I'm used to letting the garden go dormant in December until it is awakened in April or May. My neighbor told me she has sweet peas blooming already in her garden. 




Many people think that Louisiana doesn't have colorful trees in the fall, but you'd be surprised how bright the leaves get before they drop to the ground. The difference may be that the leaves don't drop until much later than they do in other places. 


Oddly, the plants I put in last summer, in boxes at the sidewalk in front of the house, are trying to bloom now. In February. Why not, I guess, since it's 70+ degrees F today. I mean, the plants must be a little confused, since it drops down into the mid-40's F at night, and goes back up into the 70's F during the day.


I am apparently allergic to something that grows here, that I've never been exposed to before in all the different places I've lived. I've heard that it's fairly common to develop new allergies after moving to Louisiana, that there are unusual plants here. So I am experimenting with taking an anti-histimine every day. I have a mini-pharmacy in my car.


My daughter loaned me her small camera, so I can carry it around in my handbag and take snapshots here and there. I downloaded an editing tool, too, so I can have some fun with the color and cropping. I'm not as good with the camera or the editing as she is, but I'm having fun with it, playing with the images.


I've ordered the Burpee gardening calendar to inspire me with spring gardening ideas!

2 comments:

SummersStudio said...

I have my first ever autumn/winter garden this year. It does take some getting used to but I am enjoying the small harvest of beets, carrots, and turnips. The broccoli is done but still puts out little side shoots. You really should try it next year. It is so nice to hear that you are settled in and feeling so connected to your new home.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Hi, LeAnn. It's a new idea to me, to work in the garden in January and February? It's been an unusually warm winter this year. I've been told that, for some spring plants, it's not too early even now to plant. Except tomatoes, I hear - not to plant until after Mother's Day.

LeAnn, I hope you are settled in your new location too. I need to get caught up with what's going on in your world, too.