Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Frilly Heart Face Broke The Studio

     Last weekend, I continued on my quest to re-configure my pewter bezels. While I like many, if not most, of them to be simple and plain, with clean lines, sometimes I do like them to have some swirls and twirls on them. The bezel mold I had been using was made several years ago, and it wasn't quite open enough for the hearts to fit into easily. So I always had to work on them, to get the centerpieces to fit. On Sunday afternoon, I re-made the bezel from scratch, making sure there was plenty of room in the center for the hearts to fit. This is my first test of the new mold. It still has lots of detail, and now the hearts fit without a struggle.
      I don't know why it takes me so long sometimes, just to do the things I intend to do, need to do, to make things easier on myself. And it didn't really take all that long to do this. I puzzle myself - why work harder than necessary, when I can take a couple of hours and make things easier. It's a mystery.
     Speaking of mysteries, I finally wore out my crucible for the pewter. Last weekend, it just gave out and stopped working. So I will have to get a new one, and get familiar with it. Fortunately, my old one stayed hot long enough for me to get all the pewter out of it before it shut itself down. I'm researching now to see if I want the same thing, or something different this time.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Sweetie, it's beautiful! I would love to watch you create these little masterpieces.

I'm like you in that I do the things I don't need to do (computer time), and put off the things that need to be done. Then I kick myself for several days.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Making them is noisy, dusty and requires a lot of ugly protective equipment. I'm a sight! You might not want to watch in person, if you only knew.

I wish I had the determination to go to the studio after the day job, but sometimes I just want to stay at the house. Maybe as the days get longer, I will do it.

Alice, thanks for the kind words!

sharon said...

I always get myself in trouble by doing what I want to , rather thank what I need to. The things I need to do are usually not that much fun.
Your frilly heart is gorgeous,and oh so romantic. Lynn, you really are an artist like no other.