Sunday, July 19, 2009

Between The Lines


The weather has been beautiful, cool and shady. This morning I sat out on the deck to eat my cold cereal and drink iced coffee, the wind slightly blowing the leaves.

I got the black and chalk blanks finished and polished. It takes a bit of work to get them to the rough, aged look I like. Sometimes I was thinking of a toy prize in the box of Cracker Jack treats, and other times I was thinking of fountain decorations in italian villas.


I hope the finished look reflects what I was thinking as I made them. This one especially reminds me of Mardi Gras beads, with an enameled color on the crown and eye-catching colors on the back, like icing on a cupcake. I still feel the influence of the trip to the southlands, and the culture of the french quarter.


I don't always know when I start playing with them how they will finish up. The color in the cracks and hollows helps to make the details show up better.


Here's the back side of a few of them, the ones from the picture above, they're kind of rough and ancient looking with just a hint of color on some of them. It's nice to be in the studio for a while, now I'm going to take all the photos so I can put them in the Etsy shop.

Looking okay, for the first day back in a while ....

9 comments:

The Joy of Nesting said...

Oh they all turned out beautiful!! I especially like the oval medallion with the ghost writing (for want of a better name) on it!! Very mysterious, like an artifact found in an ancient alchemist hideaway :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

mairedodd said...

really cool... the things that come out of your studio are always so fascinating... i love it!

EmandaJ said...

Hey Lynn,

It looks like you got your mojo back. Glad things are settling down for you. Take care.

Emanda

TesoriTrovati said...

Eeek! That key is AWEsome!
I love getting a peek into your process. Love it all!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Cindy Gimbrone said...

They look great, Lynn! I think they're more muted than the mardi gras beads I've seen and I love that about them. Lots of faux history!

:-) Cindy

Mary Harding said...

I love the colors and the look of many layers all slightly visible at the same time. Beautiful work.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thanks for noticing the tiny bit of writing on the back of the faux mardi gras medallion, it's from the Book of Kells and it's just barely there!

Emanda, I know you like history, if you see any name-able timeframes or trends that I'm accidently channeling please fill in the gaps for me...

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Mary, thanks for the kind feedback, I wanted them to look like paint had worn off from having been painted several times, like you see sometimes on old hardware in ancient buildings.

Hi, Cindy! Hi, Erin! I'm missing you guys over at Art Bead Scene. Hope lots of cool stuff is going on, I have to find a minute to drop by soon.

dogfaeriex5 said...

you creat such joy~~xo