Saturday, July 18, 2009

Slate and Chalk


Today is the first time I've been in the studio for over a week. The office relocations are almost, very nearly done. I don't have to go into the office this weekend. What a relief! Combining two offices into one involves a lot of things you just never think about. Doubles of things, and things missing. It's a challenge, and never boring!


This morning the weather is cool and mild, so I opened up the studio and started playing around, nothing definite in mind, trying to warm up the hands and brain to a creative session.


These pieces are blanks, ready for color and patina. If you've ever wondered how things sometimes start, this will give you a little bit of an idea. It starts with shapes, ornamental designs or textures, in a chalky white or ebony slate black. A clear slate, so to speak.


After they are shaped and sanded and ready it's time to play with color. I don't always know how they will be colored when I start. I dab and wipe, sand and polish, until they get an aged and worn look that I like.

So you can see some dark beauties, and some white chalky or glimmery ones, before I start squeezing the color out of the tubes and take a brush in hand, to have some fun with color.

4 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Ooohhh! Thanks for showing the beginnings! I love, love, love the slate one with the key shape........my checkbook is calling! I will be checking back in on the progress of that one!
Enjoy the day Miss Lynn!
Erin

The Joy of Nesting said...

Welcome back to your studio!!

It doesn't matter how simplistic you make it look you still have a most amazing gift. You can take a lump of clay and magically transform it into a rare ancient artifact!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

sharon said...

The dark ones are magnificent as they are, at least in these photos.....I love them!

Pandorasfork said...

I love the raw, pure look to the untouched clay ~ it's so nice that you are sharing this with us...
: )