Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Buttons and Bows


I've been learning new ways to finish the pewter.

At first, I had a hard time making things small and delicate. I still struggle a bit. Larger pieces are easier. The small ones have to be strong, yet not too bulky. A balance, between strength and fragility.

I've learned that my rotary tool is my best way to clean up the edges and finish the pewter after casting. I have to wear my respirator mask and safety glasses, because of the metal dust everywhere. I end up coated in it, like snow. But I don't want it in my eyes, nose or mouth.


So making these delicate little bows makes me feel very happy.

I was able to make them pretty small and keep them lightweight.

They remind me of bows on holiday packages.

Or hair bows, on little girls' curls.


I want to make a necklace with the big bow, with a chandelier crystal hanging from it.

When I get it made I'll show it here.

4 comments:

SummersStudio said...

The satin soft finish on these is lovely.

Riki Schumacher said...

I love the bow Lynn. The tiny ones are just precious. I will be getting some of those at some point!! Please don't let that stuff get in you eyes and mouth! good you're wearing protective gear.

Susan Marling said...

Those are so adorable - you did a fantastic job on them.

Vintage Blue Studio said...

Oh Lynn I just purchased one of the bows! I can't wait to use it. Also, I made a necklace with the black hand pendant. I'll have to photograph it and show you. Thanks for continuing to make great pieces!