Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reading Anew and Fried Okra


I finally went last weekend to the local library and got my new library card.

When I was young, I went to the library several times a week during the summer, getting lots of books to read sitting in the shade under a tree.

Since I moved at the end of July, I just hadn't made it to the library to get my card.

The library branch is right down the street from my new house, I can walk or ride my bike. I only have time to go on Saturday morning, so I loaded up my empty tote bag and got some books.

I brought home two cookbooks about local cooking and recipes. I'm enjoying reading them, and there has been a lot more fried okra and cornbread around the house this week. The power of suggestion is strong!



And I got this debut novel by Deanna Raybourn. It's written by an american author, but set in the 1880's in England. It reminds me of the mysteries of Dauphne de Maurier. The author does a great job of describing the setting, the clothing, and especially the jewelry. There's a murder mystery, gypsies and lords and ladies. An eccentric family, a lovely heroine, a mysterious investigator. 
Very atmospheric!
It's the first in a series, I may try to read the others, too.


I know it's going to influence my jewelry designs, just reading it. 
Inspiration flows from many different places.

I haven't finished it yet, so if you have, don't give away the ending!

I also got some books for the grandbaby. You can't start the reading habit too early!

I feel more like a member of this community now, between the okra and the library card. Settling in.


4 comments:

Riki Schumacher said...

I can't wait to see how the book inspires you Lynn! How fun, I know it will be something fun. Hugs, Riki

SummersStudio said...

I always thought okra was a gross slimy vegetable until I moved to Texas. Now I've had it cooked in so many ways and had it fresh picked, just hours old. I've changed my mind. It's yummy. I look forward to this vegie fresh picked. I don't even like vegetables.

Unknown said...

Oh this is a lovely post!
Bike rides, library trips, cook books, reading to the grandbaby!
I love reading about your days, Lynn!

(Mike is native Texan and LOVES okra!)

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Yes, I love fried okra and cornbread. YUM! I may just break down and go buy a small deep fryer so we can have it more often.

It's also good fried without batter in a skillet, with fresh corn, onions and tomatoes.

Making me hungry.

Hi, Riki, LeAnn and Shannon ... so good to hear from all of you.