Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Almost Nearly Not Quite


I'm experimenting with what I can do with the pewter charms, I have a lot of ideas and sometimes it takes a while to work through them and get all the calamities out of the way.

I had etched some glass and soldered it, and I wondered if I could combine the glass with the charms I'm making. I had a semi-completed charm, and tried adding to the front of the glass.


Most of the time I show my finished items, and I don't show the ones I feel need a little "something more" to be just right. It's a learning process all the time, and for all the ones I like, there are probably twice as many things I discard or retire as part of the research and development process.

This is just one step on the way to getting where I'd like to be, definitely not a keeper, just a prototype, but I thought I'd show it so the mysterious learning process is evident, too. I'll probably take it apart again and melt down the pewter.


Here's one I made later, that combines the charm with the soldered glass. No sense starting right off with ones I really didn't want to mess up, don't you agree?


How do you go about testing and trying out your ideas? Do you have things you put aside as part of the learning process that definitely aren't ready for prime time?

6 comments:

sharon said...

The answer to that last question is YES!! An evergrowing pile, sometimes I save, sometimes I toss, and sometimes I go rooting through the misfits looking for something I remember trying to do and seeimg if I can make it better. I don't know how it is for everyone else, but I know that when I make something or lay it out I have to step back, literally get up and move away to get a different perspective on the piece to see if it still works, often times that will make me adjust something, especially color! That comes from the painting background, but it is of tremendous help to me.

SummersStudio said...

Lynn, I am really loving the direction these pewter pieces are taking. It also great to see the process in action, not so greats and all.

I have stacks of things that have not quite made it to the public eye. This is especially true with glaze tests. But I keep them around because they are a library of ideas that may be useful later.

Once I start working with the bronze clay I anticipate more failures than success. I anticipate showing those as I believe that we all learn a lot from the not so goods.

Thanks for sharing your process of development.

Gaea said...

Oh my gosh! My studio has tray upon tray of things waiting. Poor dears. Their time may never come. Oh well... On to the next! Can't wait to see what you do next!

The Joy of Nesting said...

I think we all must have our own little oops stashes :) There have been a number of times when the exact thing I needed for a project has been found living in the oops. We don't even through scraps out any more. Scrap wood, paint, broken appliances,tools, card board is all set out on the curb and within a couple of hours someone will be by and pick up what has been put out. But as the neighborhood junk guys have gotten to know me they now bring treasures they have found by so we can "trade trash" :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mexico

Beth Hikes said...

I will now think of you as the pewter queen!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Beth, that's high praise indeed, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Gaea, I have a little box on my desk, and the oops and the incomplete go in there. Sometimes when I'm stumped, I reach in and yank something out ... and maybe it gives me an idea on another path to take!