Friday, September 25, 2009

Tiny Charms with Tiny Photos



My hubby watches me make things in the studio and sometimes asks me questions. It's good to have someone talk to you about what you're doing, especially someone who may not understand all the steps and parts.

A fresh perspective!

He asked me the other day why I usually add the cast pewter bezels or the soldered jump rings to the charms. It's something I just took for granted. After all, you have to connect things to them to make them useful, don't you?


Well, I thought a lot about the question. And I decided to try a simple loop connection. I like them, they're very simple. With their old style paper moon photographs inside.

Especially these tiny ones, they're hard to attach to their settings.


I just got a roll of the non-tarnishing brass wire, so I made some twisted wire jump rings and created the earwires with the bright brass also.

Do you think they're too simple? Or, like my hubby, do you think that sometimes less is more?

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Lynn --

Do you explain your techniques for making the beads with words and photos in your books? I love the effect and would like to try it sometime.

Barbara said...

yes, I was referring to your articles. Just used the wrong word ...

SummersStudio said...

Lynn, I can see where the small one's would be especially difficult to work with. I like both your bezel settings and these more simple settings. I think maybe the piercing distracts the littlest bit from the image in the smallest ones though. I do love these paper moon images! Which ones do you like best? That's always the hardest question isn't it?

The Joy of Nesting said...

I don't think they are to simple Lynn. There is so much detail in the pictures much more and my eyes could easily miss the story.

I posted a couple of pictures of the necklace I made with your Guan Yin pewter piece. I'm rather pleased with the way it came out. Hopefully I did your beautiful piece justice.

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Anonymous said...

i love the earrings, i tend to like more simple and delicate jewelry