Sunday, August 17, 2008

Country Folks


Quietly Spoken Meaning - Undertones

I put some necklaces on the lynndavis Etsy site, have been struggling to find time to complete a design all the way to completed, wearable jewelry. Now I go back to Studio B (basement) to grind and shape the fused glass made yesterday in the kiln and put it back in for a fire polish firing.

Made some 5-link fine silver chain, will put that on expeditionD later today, it's in the tumbler being polished right now. The sound of the silver rolling around in the tumbler is kind of soothing.

Making the beads and chain take a tiny bit of time here, a little smidge of time there, and I can work it into a few minutes during the day.

Making a finished jewelry piece seems to take longer, finding just the right other pieces to go together with the beads, trying out things together. Assembling, coordinating. Testing.

I don't know how all you jewelry designers do it, finding the time to make all the fabulous and unique combinations.

But not everyone who likes beads has tools or other components to make a bead up into jewelry on their own, so I try to put some finished pieces on the lynndavis.etsy site for people who want something they can give or wear right away.

One of the pieces I posted yesterday is this little folk art necklace. This bead reminds me of the pennsylvania dutch hex signs you see on old barns and door lintels. I did some research, remembering from a while back that they had meanings. Here's what I learned:

'Hex signs are a form of Pennsylvania Dutch folk art, related to Fraktur, found in the Fancy Dutch tradition in Pennsylvania Dutch Country.

The stylized tulip with its three petals is a dominant feature in Pennsylvania Dutch folk art. It is referred to as the Trinity Tulip and it symbolizes the Trinity as well as faith, hope and charity.

The heart is religious in its representation of the heart of God, the source of all love and hope for a future life. The colors are used to give them additional meaning; red symbolizes strong emotion and the white background symbolizes purity.'

I like that they are fun to look at, visually colorful and interesting, but also have a hidden symbolic meaning. Not obvious, quietly speaking.

6 comments:

barbe said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thanks, Barbe - it's rustic and imperfect, but that's what seems to have the folk art touch about it. It also reminds me of applique quilts, the designs embroidered or stitched onto the cotton muslin cloth.

Anonymous said...

Your beads are really beautiful!

Lorelei Eurto said...

hey lynn! Hold this for me. I'd like to buy it for my momma who loves to quilt.
It too reminds me of applique quilts.
Pretty. I love it.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Hi, Lorelei,
I'll mark it 'saved for Lorelei's mom' for you!

And thanks for the encouragement, ya'll.

Lorelei Eurto said...

Awesome. Thanks!!
:)