Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Freedom Creativity From Friends


My friend Lorelei Eurto has been creative recently making jewelry, and she made this wonderful bracelet using one of my new asian connector tiles.

Isn't it fantastic?

She talks about being 'in the zone' and it's a subject I've been thinking about a lot lately.

There's a school of thought that talks about the 'artistic flow' or the 'creative zone' which can happen when you are focused on the activity. And later you look down and think - 'did I make that?' because it seems to just flow out of the tips of your fingers.

Not planned or studied laboriously, just happening smoothly and automatically.

When this happens, time seems to compress. For me, a few hours can seem like the passing of just a few minutes. It's a very productive place to me, there's no struggle mentally, almost automatic pilot. And very rewarding.

I've read some research that seems to say that using the same background sounds can help to initiate this zone of flow more quickly and reliably. I often listen to NPR radio programs while in the studio on the weekend. I've read on others' blogs that certain music seems to be their river of flow.

Have you experienced the feeling of being 'in the zone' or having 'artistic flow' yourself?

Do you know what brings it on for you, and how do you experience it? I find the subject facinating.

6 comments:

Round Rabbit said...

My creative flow is directly related to the materials that I am working with. I am endlessly inspired by all the possibilities that can springboard from one material. I think I could spend days working off ideas that came from one singular piece. :)

Lorelei Eurto said...

You've put the "zone" perfectly into words, Lynn. I'm so glad you wrote this post. It's not something I could really explain myself, but this is exactly right.
Sometimes it flows so easily. And there are times like last night, when everything I made, had to be done twice. I hate nights like that!

Erin Siegel said...

I adore the bracelet that Lorelei made with your connector! One of my favorite Lorelei designs for sure. Yes, I think everyone experiences the 'zone'. I did with all the the swap jewelry I made! I think you described it well, Lynn! Just like you were saying, everything falls into place so perfectly and easily that you barely feel like you had anything to do with it. Everything flows out of us with no struggle and we get that 'it made it's self feeling'. I think that's what happens when we make something from the heart. The ego part of us is not involved.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

I was out of the studio for over a week during the holidays while traveling and visiting. When I went back down to start again, I didn't have a plan in mind but all of a sudden I found myself making the little hearts and connector beads. I didn't know what they would be, I was just doing and making, and they happened. It's as though the unconscious mind was guiding the hands, it was intriguing to watch, almost like watching someone else work.

So it happens to me when making up jewelry designs and I pick up this and that, and -oh-look!~ they go together, but it also seems to happen with raw materials and the beads just APPEAR from seemingly nowhere.

I'm glad to know I'm not the ONLY ONE ... (twilight zone music in background)

EmandaJ said...

I love getting in "the zone"! If I sit down to work and there are no time constraints -- "must meet so-and-so at noon" -- I can really slip into it. Music is a great help too, I love baroque music. But as an introvert, I also really can enjoy the conversation I have with myself inside my head. And before you ask, no, I don't hear "voices"! ;^)

Nati said...

Il est magnifique!!!!!!!!
Bizzzzzzzzzzzzz
perlerouge