Monday, January 12, 2009

New Directions


I have an Etsy Main Showcase spot today for the ExpeditionD shop, I added a lot of new things over the weekend.
Hearts.
Folk Art.
Maps.
Faux-tiques of various kinds.

I never know if the
Etsy Main Showcase does anything for the shop.

But I thought it might introduce some new eyes to my new things.

I venture over there myself sometimes, to see what new things all the fantastically creative folks are doing.

That and the Treasury section.

This round compass emblem is made to resemble an antique compass rose design. I used to crew sailboats when I lived on the Gulf Coast, and sailed a small one of my own on the lakes of North Texas for some years. That was a long, long time ago. But I still enjoy the visuals of nautical symbols. Maybe that's the source of my fondness for maps.

I'm the most directionally challenged person around. I guide myself by doing the opposite of whatever feels correct.


So I like to have a little compass in the car with me, just as I used one when I was sailing. To find the way.
To me, this compass design has a bit of a steampunk feeling to it. Not every steampunk item has to have a clock face and gears or be made of metal, do you think?

4 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Lovely! And I'd say it's got a bit of steampunk feel to it. I'll be checking out the new stuff shortly. LeAnn

Fanciful Expressions said...

WooHoo!!!You put new things up on Etsy!! I grabbed the Asian tiles and one of the wings. I was so excited that the tiles where there that I didn't even remember to write any thing in the comment section~~~Ooops.
Anyway I think your work is lovely.

Carolyn

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

LeAnn, I like the bolts-and-links look of steampunk, I want to do more of those type things soon, thanks for the kind encouragement.

Carolyn, you made me giggle, I'll be making up your Asian tiles tonight if the caffeine holds me up long enough - glad you like them and got'em!

Erin Siegel said...

Love the compass, Lynn! I always love maps, nautical, and 4 directions type motifs. The compass is definitely steampunk. That Golden Compass movie was considered in the steampunk genre.