Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Anneal Me - Tuesday Tips Checking In


I started the series for Tuesday Tips and Hints because the Poll I ran at the beginning of the year showed there was interest in tutorials and tips. But I'm not sure how much it's hitting the points, and before I go on making up the tips for Tuesdays posts, let me know if I'm on track.

So leave me a comment or reply and let me know - either way! I won't mind if you tell me - Take Away Tuesday Tips! Begone!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few things I learned over the weekend.


It's much, much easier to make a rivet using wire if the wire is already softened by annealing.


It's also easier to finish off the rivet if the hole for it is very snug and grips it tightly.


It's a good idea to anneal copper disks before using in the dapping block, the copper bows out much more easily.


I learned that my small microtorch that uses butane does get hot enough to anneal copper disks and copper wire.


Now I'm investigating how to take a roll of copper wire and anneal all of it in the kiln. If you know of reliable sources for that information, post a reply. It would be a lot quicker and more convenient, for sure!

More about annealing in another Tuesday Tips post later.

7 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Hey there Lynn, I like Tuesday tips. In fact Tuesday tips have gotten me out of my comfort zone and experimenting with other media.

Anonymous said...

hello Lynn, Tuesday Tips are good idea and can be great impulse for experimenting

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

I think I may trim them back, and not do them weekly - maybe once or twice a month will do the trick.

Kristin said...

Okay, I am a new reader, so maybe what I say doesn't have a whole lot of weight, but after looking through your past posts and stuff, I think the Tuesday Tips are awesome! And "hi" *waves* from the other side of the state - Kansas City.

Cindy said...

Hi Lynn,
There's a very little bit of info here at this link. Maybe it helps, it's just an excerpt from a book, but explains how to anneal a roll of wire in the kiln.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tRdI6kL7C1wC&printsec=frontcover&dq=anneal+copper+wire+kiln&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0#PPA14,M1

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Hi, Kristin, thanks for letting me know - why we're practically neighbors!

Thanks, I'll check out that book, Cindy, I know you can anneal sterling wire in the kiln but I was double-checking the temperatures and times for copper - to avoid the whole molten lump of copper experience - LOL!

Cindy said...

I see - not having a kiln myself, I didn't realize the specifics of your request, lol!
It does look like a good book, though. There's another one here...
http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Studio-Handbook-Traditional-Contemporary/dp/1592534856/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product
I saw in the bookstore recently, it's new and it looks really good.