Monday, April 27, 2009

Airship Key


Use your imagination with this little ornament.

Are those wings on each side of the central, black skeleton key, or just pretty little eschuchons from some decoration on an old piece of furniture?


Were these wings part of a wall ornament on a flying machine, an airship?

Or is this a symbol of the heart's secrets locked away, flying out of reach.

The key to freedom and peace, soaring past, from some box of mysteries.


I had a good time making this focal piece. I am tempted to make something from it, but went ahead and listed it in the Etsy shop. There's lots of color and detail in it. I can see it with golden toned freshwater pearls, antique brass wire and a lot of black burnished glass beads.

What does it make you think of, does it create a history in your mind?

7 comments:

sharon said...

Lynn, the colors remind me of something I used to see in my Grandma's house when I was little, like a pattern in the her linen tablecloths, or wallpaper, I'm not quite sure what, but very nostalgic!

SummersStudio said...

Lynn, my first impression, without reading anything, was unlocked mysteris winging their way out into the world. This is a wonderful piece, the kind that each person can bring their own meaning to.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Maybe it's the key used to open Pandora's box! Or the key to a secret garden ... I had a great time making it, it almost made itself.

Pretty Things said...

The colors are TERRIFIC!~ I'm a pink/purple/blue person but this really spoke to me. Awesome job!

Candace said...

I thought of Hermes, winged messenger -- and his sister, Aphrodite, goddess of love. Love does wing its way... the colour is fantastic! Love the way it just pops out at one, like a heartbeat only you can hear.

Thanks for sharing!
Candace

zabeth said...

it's beautiful

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thank you - I don't know where the images and ideas come from, but it pleases me to look at this one, so I know my heart chord was struck by making it.