Thursday, May 28, 2009

Color Right, Color Left



The days are slowly getting longer, as we head toward the longest day of the year, June 21. There's been a lot of rain and storms lately, makes for a grey light. I'm working on a custom order for a left wing with writing on the back, and apparently I am unable to tell a left wing from a right wing. That sounds funny when I write it that way.

Last night I made two wings, one for "just in case" anything happened to the first one. Got it all painted, and realized that both of them were right wings.

So do you tell on a bird which is the right and which is the left by looking at them from above. Kind of like our right arm and left arm. It's oriented to the body, so even if you look at me from the front, the right and left stays the same.


Anyway, I have to do two more wings, and make sure this time they are the opposite wing side from what I've been making. I never gave bird wings this much thought until now.

These are some new colors of wings I'm making, in pairs. So there's definitely a right and a left, no matter how you look at them.

9 comments:

SummersStudio said...

How confusing! I have trouble with left and right on my own body, let alone bird wings. I can see these pairs of wings incorporated into little dolls. Ones with moveable parts.

susanc said...

Beautiful! You've done a really nice job on these.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

LeAnn, I was thinking something similar, but for toys, the type you'd find in a cereal box. Maybe with a bird shape that's flat with a hole at the shoulder, with the wings on each side. And then I'd have to figure out which wing goes where ... I confess I'm still a little confused!

sharon said...

This is funny.... I work in the tile trade, and when someone orders a certain type of corner(to make a long story short)....if they ask for a right, we have to order a left to get the correct piece! Always the opposite.
Beautiful wings!

Candace said...

But -- But...
anyway, I will leave you to these geometric equations and just let you know how gorgeous I think the colours are. Well done (and I totally agree with SummersStudio when saying, "little dolls with moveable parts!")!
Take care.
Candace in Athens.

Stacey said...

Your pieces are so beautiful Lynn - I just love the feel they give my jewelry! This reminds me that I need to jump on over to your shop to order more! Great work!

Patricia Perrine, PhD said...

Love those wings! Here's another brain twister -- try to figure out where on the bird a particular feather comes from. Wing and tail feathers are quite different (wing feathers tend to be pointed, tail feathers rounded). Pretty amazing.

Sophie said...

omg i LOVE these! they'd look perfect if you hang one from a cluster of odd vintage components, like maybe this? and this -- can't wait to get some time on my hands to try working with this piece! Love how you have them in different colors!

dogfaeriex5 said...

angels should be so lucky to wear your beautiful wings! xoxox
ps...it is raining cats & dogs here but yet it is sunny, hope to see a rainbow...xo