Sunday, November 29, 2009

Frozen Charlotte Warm Heart


I've noticed a few designs out there, people really seem to like the porcelain dolls called Frozen Charlotte. There's a story behind the doll, most of the time you see them in bright white porcelain, a full-length doll with arms and legs.

In one of the Belle Armoire magazines a whole group of artists designed around pewter castings of Frozen Charlotte, one of those artists is Deryn Mentock.

So I thought if I was going to do something similar, I needed to do something different. Unique, not a copy of someone else's inspiration. You know what I mean.


My doll in pewter is just a partial girl, down to her thighs.

And in this casting, she only has one arm. I've made one with both arms that I'm sending to a special friend, I hope it will inspire a pretty design. But this Charlotte must have her other arm behind her back.

And she's a headpin, she has a wire at the top of her head for a bead or wire wrapping.


And another wire at the bottom, for ceramic, lampwork or filigree beads to be added.

She's very lightweight, even though she's cast in pewter, she's flat on the back. No 3-D look to her, I wanted her to be small enough to wear as a jewelry piece, but large enough to be recognizeable as Frozen Charlotte.

She's a lot of fun.

I'm thinking of making some other charms with just her head, or just her feet. Kinda crazy, huh? It makes me smile to think about them, I think I'll go work on some now.

Either as charms, or with a wire to be used as a headpin, I think these are fun, and different enough to look like they were made by me.

After all, Frozen Charlotte has her own look, don't you think? There's no denying her special look ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have to go in to the office today, something came up. I've had a really good run in the studio the last couple of days. The temperature has been warm enough for resin.

And the pewter has been unusually cooperative the last couple of days. Or maybe my hands have just gotten into a rythmn, with working on things for several days in a row.

Whatever it is, I wish I could bottle it and just spray it on myself when I have time to get to the studio.

And it makes me regret losing several hours today, but we all do what we must...

7 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

My most favorite aunt in the world was a Charlotte. My daughter's middle name is Charlotte. I love that name. And I love these little dolls that pop up all over. What Deryn did with them was pure magic and light. I am very enamoured. Thank you for sharing your inspiration today! Enjoy the day! Erin

EmandaJ said...

Hi Lynn, Love your new pieces! Seems you've have a very good holiday weekend. Sorry you have to go into work, ugh.

Emanda
P.S. I blogged about winning the braided circle. Thanks again!
ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com

Vintajia Adornments said...

I am rather partial to the frozen charlottes and I love your inspiration of head pins. Love to see more fragment charlottes.

mairedodd said...

i have seen these but don't know that much about them... have to do some reading on it! yours are great!

SummersStudio said...

I love those little frozen charlotte dolls and all that goes with them. The idea of using them as head pins is wonderful.

Esther said...

beautiful doll Lynn!!

BellaLunaArts said...

Just happened upon your blog it's lovely! Your Charlotte inspiration is wonderful, I've been having great fun with them too! Can't wait to see the Belle Armoire! Take care and thanks for sharing your talent. Bridgette