Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pairs of Lightness


I've been working with the pewter now since last May, mostly self-taught. Doing a lot of research, trying things.

I'm sure I could have learned all this faster if I had a teacher, but I didn't have one, so I just kept trying things and keeping what worked for me.


I love working with the metal, and the look of the finished pieces.

At first I stuck to making larger pieces, they're easier to work with and finish.


But as I've slowly gotten used to the metal and its strengths, how it needs to be supported and worked, through trial and error, I've gradually started making smaller pieces.


I'm happy now that I can make these small pairs of charms, light enough for earrings.


Pewter can be a dense alloy metal, so getting pieces thin and light enough to comfortably wear on your ears and strong enough to hold up to wear has been one of my self-challenges.


I know there are lots of charms available, mass produced. But part of the reason I started casting the pewter was to make charms that looked authentically old and handmade. Not mass produced, each one slightly different. As though they really were antiques made long-long ago.

A little worn, a bit battered, like the real ones I've seen that have been around for a long time and worn, with a history in them.


I'm very pleased with these pairs of tiny charms. Now I am itching to create some earrings with them.

8 comments:

Susan Marling said...

Your charms are wonderful!! I love the fact that they do look old and aren't like the mass produced pieces. It is hard to believe you are self taught.

SummersStudio said...

Lynn, I love these intimate little pairs. I sometimes wonder about making charms and pendants as well, given there is so much mass produced out there. But then, I think your idea of the little differences between pairs is what makes them special is spot on. You know that someones hands touched them.

TesoriTrovati said...

Lynn, I would never have guessed that you were so new to this medium. Your work is so wonderful and you have succeeded on all accounts. I would much rather have one of your pieces than anything mass produced any day. And as for having a teacher...well, you have a lot to teach the rest of us. I think it is mysterious to work with metal as you are and would love to learn from you, the modern master of fauxtiques! Enjoy the day! Erin

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

Your work amazes me! Love the little charms, especially the fleur di lis. I have an idea for the 4 way connector that I won in your drawing. Hopefully, it will be done soon & I'll let you know!

romantic decay said...

Lynn, i received the hand charm today and it's even prettier in person. these smaller pieces are beautiful. can't wait to see more.

Anonymous said...

i love small, that's my style! beautiful work!

EmandaJ said...

Lynn, I love the small, delicate pieces you are making now. You put the hand in hand-crafted.
Emanda

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

They're a little bit fiddly to make, but so quaint it's worth it. I just have to find some time to make some earrngs. I want to ball up some copper wire for ruby red headpins to put into the centers, and hopefully this weekend there's time for that!

Sometimes trial and error is good because you don't know any better than to do something that someone who knows might not! But yes, it's been a long learning experience and I've loved it. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement!