Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reading From The French


I just finished this book written by Agnes Desarthe titled "Chez Moi." The description from the back of the paperback copy I got from the library sounded interesting, so I picked it up. The author is a literary translator, taking books from english to french. Adriana Hunter translated this book from french to english.

At first I didn't know if I would like it. There are a lot of human themes, a bit of mystery, and a lot of cooking. This book is the sixth novel by this author, who is french, but it's the first that has been translated and published in the United States. Some reviews compare it to the book "Like Water for Chocolate," which I haven't read yet.

The protagonist, Myriam, is beginning a new life in Paris at age 43 by opening a restaurant, although she doesn't know anything about running a business.

I finished it with a smile, enjoying the story and the luxurious thoughts and generosity of the author, giving a glimpse inside someone else's head and history.

It's not a long book, but it is delicious, so if you're looking for a book for in front of the fireplace on a cold evening, give this one some thought. It has philosophy, humanity, romance and cooking!

2 comments:

SummersStudio said...

I'll just have to see if I can find a copy. And you must read like water for chocolate. It's wonderful and I truly did not think it would be something I would like.

EmandaJ said...

Hi Lynn,
Thanks for the book report. I just got an e-reader and have been devouring books -- I'll have to give this one a look-see. BTW, I have used your pewter fleur connector in my Color Challenge Blog Hop piece. You may get some traffic from my shout-out.
Bead blessed,
Emanda
ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com