Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's Not A Uni-Tasker


Since I relocated here to Central Louisiana, I've been getting cookbooks from the library, to learn how to make the local dishes.

A lot of them call for rice. My daughter had a rice cooker, and swore by it. I always thought it was a uni-tasker - only good for making rice.

However, it does make really good rice, and makes it easily.
Does it tell you anything that I bought a ten pound bag of Basmati rice at Sam's, and we're already halfway through it? Yes, there's a lot of rice used in gumbos, soups, jambalayas - you get the idea.

Last Saturday when I went to the library, I found a cool recipe book, on how to cook things BESIDES rice in the rice cooker.
Even though I have the steamer basket for mine, I wouldn't have thought of making stews and soups in the rice cooker.

So I'm going to have to experiment with mine.
If you want a good chuckle, and more information on unique uses for the rice cooker, check out Roger Ebert's blog post about "uses for the pot" - he made me laugh out loud several times. Do check it out ...

So I will have to try stone ground oatmeal in the rice cooker for breakfast.
Hmmmm ... might even be healthy.

2 comments:

Spirited Earth said...

thanks for reminding me about the rice cooker ..used to have one and really like it..

ClickNCamera said...

My daughters had one in college, but I didn't get one until recently when I realized how nutritionally poor Minute Rice was for us. Never thought to make oats in it...I'll be checking out the link! Thank you for sharing!