Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Memory of Color

     Pewter cast in familiar shapes.
     Resin made to look like glass. 
     Polymer clay made to look like ceramics.
     And all of them, made to look old, vintage, antique. Imperfect, worn-looking, with the maker's hand so visible. I don't want my work to look manufactured or machine made, I want it to have the look of something old, a treasured piece from the distant past. The shapes, the colors - all meant to have that same ancient style.
Memory
My mind lets go a thousand things,
Like dates of wars and deaths of kings,
And yet recalls the very you - 
Twas noon by yonder village tower,
And on the last blue noon in May
The wind came briskly up this way,
Crisping the brook beside the road;
Then, pausing here, set down its load
Of pine-scents, and shook listlessly,
Two petals from that wild-rose tree.
Thomas Bailey Aldrich
     I hope I have achieved it, that resemblance to all things old and well-worn.

2 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Oh! You have! I have a hard time believing those aren't glass and pottery. They do look like some treasure from a castle far far away. I love the soft colors you are working into this. Thank you for sharing your beautiful art with us!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Erin, I need to hear that right now. For the past few months, I've been on a bit of a creative hiatus. Having a baby grandson has taken my attention away from creating new things. When I look back through my old blog posts, the items I see don't even look to me like something I made.

I'm determined to get back into the swing of things again, and the juices are starting to flow, but so are my self doubts. Is the work any good? Will anyone be inspired by it?
I love that you said "treasure from a castle far far away" - that helps me feel better!
Hugs, Erin!