Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Red in the Garden

     Who doesn't love homegrown, vine-ripened tomatoes? I just picked my first red ones this week, the big ones, that is. I've been getting small cherry tomatoes for a while now for salads.


     I've been researching planting for fall gardening here in Louisiana, and I've learned that it's possible to start plants now for a fall harvest! And, I learned that tomato cuttings will root themselves and grow a new plant. So I'm giving that a try this year.
     I set up another 4x4 foot square garden box and started filling it with compost and garden soil. I'm going to put more zucchini in it, for a fall harvest. That new box makes four 4x4 raised bed boxes I have now. Each year I expand the garden just a little!


     Last weekend I made bread and butter pickles with homegrown cucumbers, and 1/2 pint jars of yellow banana pepper pickles. They're in the refrigerator, pickling away!




     I like this time of year. And maybe by fall, I'll still be picking tomatoes and cucumbers in the shortening days before the first frost.

5 comments:

SummersStudio said...

I love this time of year when the tomatoes start to come in. We just started picking this week too. Yummy!

Sandra said...

oh yummy! i love fresh tomatoes and juicing them, you get the most refreshing juice.

Alice said...

Mmm, I love homegrown tomatoes! What sort of wood do you use to make those 4x4 raised boxes? I'd love to start a garden again but the first few attempts didn't go so well. My biggest challenge is weeds. I think a raised garden would do the trick.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Aren't they pretty? and yummy, too. I have to watch the birds, they are VERY interested. Bird netting, here we come!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Alice, I thought I'd do a few more posts about my square foot garden, hopefully I'll hit all the answers. I find it to be the easiest, most productive way to garden for someone like me with limited time.