Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Inspired Glass

Wanted to create a closure that would be the focal and not hidden away at the back of the neck.

Have also been playing with enameling on glass, beveling glass and fusing in the kiln.

This little piece combines both ideas, the fused glass becomes the toggle closure of the jewelry.

Had to play around with the 'bar' side of the clasp, using the fine silver and fusing to create the large beads on the ends, and the organic shape of the bar.

I know in the world there are very few, if any, really new ideas. Too many creative people working and coming up with the same ideas, ancient people and modern people working with their hands.

I will say I haven't seen anyone else making this type of fused glass toggle closure. So maybe, against all the odds, I have created a new design idea. That is very exciting! and I do like the look of this clasp design. It can hang on the side of a necklace design, or at the bottom front as the focal bead. And it's very secure but easy to close.

Want to make more, with different designs embedded and words - this one says 'I-N-S-P-I-R-E' inside the glass. Maybe I should do a giveaway of one of these, so others can test it in their designs, what say you?

4 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

YESSSSSSS you should!!!!

I love the color of this clasp. I like the incorporation of words too. Very creative. And you're right, I haven't seen anything like this.
Do you think you'll play around with shape and do a circular clasp?

Jennifer Stumpf said...

very original.
I'll send you my address!!

jeanine said...

You never cease to amaze me! I have never seen anything like it. I would have to say yes.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

I will fire up some more of them - right now I've loaded the kiln up with silver metal clay. Can't wait to get them out - hurry kiln!