Thursday, November 6, 2008

Steam and Stern Time Machine

The November Theme of the Month over at the Art Bead Scene blog is "Full Steam Ahead" - there are weekly prizes and Designer of the Week to be chosen - so if you have work that clicks with that them, pop over and get the information on how to join in the steamy steampunk fun.


I really like the steampunk look, the industrial machine age and a little fantastical. It reminds me of the images and items used in the movie "The Golden Compass" with the airships and the warehouses. Bolts and springs, gears and wheels.

This chain was made in one four hour sitting, winding the steel wire and adding the stone chips of hematite. The focal pendant was dreamed up to imitate the idea of a fantastical pocket time machine mechanism. Sadly, this one no longer works, but I still think it looks interesting.

It's wrapped in metal and the two pieces are connected with wire supports. It has little fake wheels and dials, just like the interior of a pocketwatch or a gauge on some mystical machine.

One of the sponsors for the November challenge at ABS is Earthenwoods Studio - she's got some fabulous ceramic beads and focals that look like bolts, gears and furnace doors. You should check them out if you like the style, I got some of her gear connector beads and I've been hoarding them. I really should use them to create something wonderful.

Maybe if I come up with my dream locket in copper that opens, I'll use those beads on the chain! I see an image forming - I'll let it percolate for a while and see what comes out.

5 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

Love this necklace Lynn!

Jenny said...

Ditto, Lorelei!

SarahKelley said...

I love it too:) Great job! It's like you mainstreamed steampunk here, without watering it down. Nice!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

I was thinking of H.G. Wells when this piece happened, the chain links are to remind me how all the different little links work. Wouldn't it be great to make one with some knobs that say "UP" or "ON - OFF" and little dials and things? With faux screws and bolts ... making me think of things to try!

HappyDayArt! said...

This is so beautiful Lynn! I love the brown. The craftsmanship is perfect!

I came by to tell you that you have been tagged!

Catherine