Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Time Bottle


Remember the post around the holidays, when I showed my polymer clay snowmen bottles?

I have a box of bottles like that, and I was thinking about how they could be hung like a pendant.


On Saturday I took some time in the studio and started to play with one of them.

I made a collar out of wire around the empty glass bottle, and used my solder to solidify it around the neck of the bottle.

Then I made some loops, trying to make it look very old like an antique tonic bottle from long ago, so that chain or a wire wrap can be added to the loops to make it wearable.


With the extra wire, I made two very small loops and joined them to each other on the back side, like a linked chain.

It reminds me of a patent medicine bottle, or something from an herbalists shop or apothecary.

I don't know what might go inside. A snippet of a map, a love letter? Some dyed costume pearls, or gold flakes in resin? Sand from a special beach, with a seashell?

I think I'll list this one in the Etsy shop. Maybe one of you would like to play with it., and make it part of a special story you're telling in jewelry.

3 comments:

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

So very cool! Haven't had a chance to check out your store for awhile and it is full of great goodies! Hope you're doing well!
Michelle-

TesoriTrovati said...

Ooh! Ooh! I have a whole stash of these little bottles and always wanted to do the same. But my soldering skills are lacking. Maybe that would add to the rustic charm? You have inspired me to think of a way to use these little trinkets. Thanks, Lynn!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

Alice said...

Clever! What amazing things can be done with this tiny little bottle. Now I just need to find some of the little darlings and play.