Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Medallion

I recently watched a show on the history of WWII, about the freeing of Paris, and the role of the French Resistance. I didn't know that the City of Lights had been slated for destruction rather than liberation, and that it was preserved to come to us today by the efforts and sacrifices of many people, so long ago now.


I made the pewter charm with the Eiffel Tower and a lock at the bottom, as a remembrance of a safeguard of the beautiful Paris buildings on this Memorial Day.


I got a bunch of the glass charms made up into pairs as components. I'll show some of them through the week, they're up on the Etsy site. Here I've teamed them up with the pewter charm, to show how they might look on the chain for a necklace.

Thank you to all of those in the military, or who have family members serving, on this Memorial Day.

2 comments:

sharon said...

Thank you for reminding us about today's true meaning Lynn. I am always in awe when I read or see something on television about any war or military sacrifice. It is almost above my comprehension sometimes of what these people give of themselves. I will add them to my prays everyday.

Your pieces become more fascinating every week... this is very beautiful!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

I'm influenced in thinking about it from this perspective because my father is french, and fought in WWII in North Africa. He has a lot of mementos and curios from that time. So when I think of the war, I do think about the occupation and liberation of Paris.

I wanted this to have the spirit of an old medallion, maybe from a soldier's trunk, passed through the family to today.